Jesus in the Hebrew Scriptures? Wasn’t He supposed to be in the New Testament only? Well, of course He is featured in the prophecies which foretell his first and second coming, and this book has a detailed look at some of them.
But did you know that, throughout the Hebrew narrative, Jesus was also there in person? Did you know that He was seen not just by some of the well known heroes of the faith, but that He met and conversed also with some less prominent Jewish figures?
Let us turn to the Hebrew Scriptures and see what they teach about Jesus. Some of the topics are:
- God – absolute or composite unity?
- “El Shaddai” – when men saw God face to face
- The Angel of the Covenant – preparations for the coming Messiah
- Immanuel – the prophecy about the virgin birth of the Messiah
- The Messiah-King to come, according to the Hebrew Scriptures-something for us to look forward to
- “The Messiah cut off”- Did you know that Daniel foretold the precise time of the first coming of the Messiah to earth?
- The Servant of the Lord-the suffering Messiah-He did what He did for you and me!
But why should one bother learning all those details out of a book that is nearly 3000 years old? Because Jesus says “If you had known Me, you would have know My Father also” (John 14:7). There is nothing more important in the world than knowing Jesus-and knowing Him well-because-“he who does not have the Son of God does not have life” (1 John 5:12). We want to know God, and we want to have life!
The Bible is the only book in which God Himself reveals His attributes, His will and His truth to us. It is also the only book whose writers can say authoritatively, “Thus says the Lord,” their authority being confirmed by God, as all their words and prophecies are being fulfilled. Let us open our Bibles together and let God-the Author of that ancient book-speak to us.