It is said, “A picture is worth a thousand words.” Here, there are two pictures in one…worth infinitely more! The painting on the front of this tract shows the baby Christ laying in a manger and the shadow of a cross falling across the scene.
One represents the birth of Christ at Bethlehem; the other the death of Christ at Calvary. We celebrate the birth of Christ at Christmas, and we remember Christ’s death and His glorious resurrection from the dead at Easter. Christmas and Easter are all part of one amazing truth; God so loved every one of us individually that He sent His only Son to pay for our sins so that we could spend eternity with Him in heaven.
It is explained in possibly the best known verse in the Holy Bible, John 3:16:
• The Crib of Christmas: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son…”
• The Cross of Calvary: “…that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
What does that mean to you and me? Well, it is, in fact, a matter of life and death! It speaks of what happens to us after death and for all of eternity!
God explains it clearly in His written Word, the Bible:
• That is, there is not one person who has never sinned; “…all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23).
• Heaven is a pure place where NO sin is present and NONE is allowed; “… the wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23).
• But, God LOVES every one of us, wants us to live in heaven with Him and has given the most wonderful gift imaginable; “…the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:23).
God’s answer, His only answer, to mankind’s sin is to send His only Son to pay for our sins!
This is what John 3:16 is saying:
• “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son…” The Crib of Christmas!
• “…that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life” The Cross of Calvary!
What can I do? The fact is that you can do absolutely nothing! But the good news is that Jesus Christ has done absolutely everything for you! He gave His life on Calvary’s cross to pay for the sins of the whole world! All God asks is that you agree
that you are a sinner and believe in the Lord Jesus Christ’s sacrificial death for you personally!
The wonderful news is that, when we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ’s death on Calvary’s cross for us, we are not only forgiven for all of eternity, but God declares us righteous before Him!
A man in the Bible once asked; “What must I do to be saved?” His answer is our answer: “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved” (Acts 16:31)!